KPH – Our Unique Selling Points (USP)
Recently, I was reading a post regarding unique selling points and thought it was perhaps about time I wrote some down for KPH …it has turned into quite a project!
1. Our number one unique selling point has to be safety. This does not mean just the word added to a list for advertising; it means we manufacture our horseboxes, designed from the bare chassis up, completely around horse and occupant safety. From the very conception of the company (Kevin Parker Horseboxes LTD) safety was our paramount concern. This was the top priority on our very long design list and has been an integral part of our horseboxes for many decades. Safety and especially horse and pony safety encompass every single part we manufacture and fit, from picking materials for strength and longevity, all the way through to how the item is used and how it feels (no sharp edges).
2. Building safety in a horsebox has to touch on longevity, our second USP. Safety is for the life of our horseboxes and this is actually the point where cost is disregarded, in every case the best materials for the job, are by nature longer lasting and more expensive. As an example, wherever possible, we replace aluminium with stainless steel adding far superior strength and longevity. This is especially evident in our stainless steel safety cell, horse ramps, hinges, horse gates and horse partitions.
3. We cannot emphasize how truly ground-breaking our Coat-X spray on Polyurea protective coating is. Encompassing both safety and longevity, our non-slip Coat-X finish has been independently slip tested and outperforms rubber matting in both wet and dry tests (rated to British Standards 7976-2). It has totally transformed our horse areas, adding both safety and longevity. Developed to replace heavy rubber matting, kick sheets, joins and cappings …and being one hundred percent waterproof and impervious to cleaning chemicals, it allowed us to design stylish horse areas that can be power washed or steam cleaned on a daily basis. Our horse areas really do stand out from the crowd!
4. It would be very remiss of us to list the first three USP’s and not mention our 32mm Coat-X protective padding specifically designed for our Aeos and Helios horseboxes. We use these waterproof safety paddings as extra protection for our customer’s horses. They are designed tough, to withstand kicking and daily power washing or steam cleaning with detergents. They add even more longevity to our tough horse areas.
5. This would have to be truly bespoke horseboxes that we take the time designing, so they fit each customer exactly and are they are proudly manufactured by our skilled KPH craftsmen (in the UK). Our long serving team take great pride in their work and everything from manufacturing, through to spraying and even weighing the horseboxes is undertaken at our very clean Lancashire site.
6. The next USP is for our team that add the ooooh! KPH has an incredibly skilled paint team, who, on a weekly basis make customers dreams become reality. It has to be said that the real USP paint magic is a hidden one that customers will rarely see; however, it sets us apart and is why our horseboxes last so long. Our team spray the cab underside, chassis and subframe with oil resistant paint and Waxoyl. They also remove doors and fittings to spray separately, covering every edge for added longevity.
From amazing colours to amazing paint designs, from the smallest, all the way up to maximum length HGV horseboxes we paint everything in our purpose built 22m commercial spray shop and oven. It is often a favourite destination for visiting customers and you could say we have it covered!
7. One area where we literally, shine very brightly and a major KPH unique selling point is our outstanding stainless steel designs. Manufactured in our dedicated fabrication workshop to be super strong, our stainless steel work, including horse partitions and rear doors are truly eye catching.
8. This is an unusual USP, although one that our customers just love. On a weekly basis, we walk customers around the entire site and openly show every single aspect of the manufacturing process. It has proved invaluable, as it shows we are proud of our build quality and workmanship. It also highlights how we treat goods in trust as well as our own facilities and team members.
I would tag onto this that it goes hand in hand with the weekly photo updates we send out showing customers’ builds.
9. Living with a compromise almost never works and often horseboxes that do not fit the customer’s exact needs are sold within a very short period of time. So, perhaps one of the most important unique selling points of a KPH build is that each one is bespoke, tailored to fit exactly.
We allocate plenty of free time to sit and chat with each customer, advising on what is possible and the implications on safety and payload. Customers can specify everything from the size of the horse area and living, to the size and placement of tack lockers. The meeting will include axle loadings, where the horses stand and even overhang behind the rear axle.
KPH builds are tailored to fit our customers’ exact requirements and just one more reason why customers keep them a very long time indeed. In fact, even with decades of horseboxes on the road, it is a very rare thing to see one of them for sale anywhere!
10. We firmly believe that standing still is as good as going backwards. Innovation has always been a driving force for KPH. We tested the first curved roof over 27 years ago. Even then the cost of transport was increasing yearly. Rather than copying what had gone before we designed a shape around fuel economy and aerodynamics. Straight away we could see that there were clear advantages in fuel savings, wind noise reductions and it added a stunning shape to our Helios horsebox models. The curved roof is a great USP and it clearly sets us apart from other manufacturers.
Very recent innovations include, a stainless steel ramp for all the Aeos horsebox models and a new stainless steel partition fastening system for the Helios horsebox models.
Rest assured, other innovative designs are being tested and will eventually become standard on our models, adding safety, ease of use, strength and longevity.
11. KPH passive design is an integral unique selling point in all our models; it is a method of construction where a comfortable interior environment is created by using very little energy. With years of manufacturing experience, combined with materials research and testing, we think about the little things, that when added up considerably alter the whole experience of loading and driving one of our horseboxes, this applies equally to the customer and their horses.
As a few examples of the passive design, we choose the roof material to insulate and we choose the colour to reflect heat (hot in winter and cool in summer). We design for much reduced heat build-up and improved air flow across the horses, adding comfort even before the extraction fans are turned on. The composite floor and double skinned walls are for strength; however, we insulate and soundproof them adding another layer of comfort for the horses.
12. Another USP to give confidence is that we don’t dabble in the cheapest chassis available. We buy for reliability, suitability and more to the point, we specialise with just two manufacturers.
For 7.5 tonnes to 26 tonnes we only manufacture on the DAF chassis. For 3.5 tonnes to 4.5 tonnes builds we specialise in the Sevel platform cab. This is a joint venture between Fiat and PSA Peugeot Citroën and includes Fiat Ducato, Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer (all the same vehicle manufactured on the same production lines).
13. Payload is a USP where we specialise and one that in recent years has become a very hot topic. Manufacturers who previously never gave it a thought are now playing catch up and the marketplace is flooded with overweight horseboxes.
At KPH it is something we have designed for from day one and it is standard on every horsebox commission. This does not mean we just have good payloads; it means we have designed carefully and placed the payload appropriately for the front and rear axle loadings. It means that customer’s horses are in the best possible place for a smooth ride. It also means we carefully consider and advise on what is possible and what is not.
We were the very first horsebox manufacturer to issue weight certificates and design completely around payload, ride comfort and safety. In fact, the very last job before handing over is weighing each vehicle with our onsite equipment and producing a certificate to go with the horsebox paperwork. Our customers can buy and much later on sell with confidence, knowing payload and placement has been carefully considered and that each one can legally carry the horses it is stalled for.
14. A great USP for our company is that we include a two year warranty and 24 hour customer care!
We take great pride in the finish and quality of our builds and we have confidence that the materials used are the best for each role. When a new horsebox is collected, the hand over can take a couple of hours and admittedly with all the excitement, it is a lot to take in. So, we give each customer my direct number and if they cannot remember or forget something important, a quick phone call sets everything straight. From time to time customers do have other questions and even more rarely a product can get a defect, if this ever happens, we are still available to chat in person anytime and dealt with an issue as speedily as possible.
Reading back through the edited down list above of unique selling point, if nothing else, it demonstrates how we do not blindly follow others, rather we lead through innovation and design, manufacturing bespoke horseboxes that last!